Working with an attorney is particularly important if you have children or significant assets, debts, or property to divide.
Even if you think you are both in agreement on these major issues, an attorney can help to ensure that your rights and best interests are protected from the start.
Your soon-to-be ex may not be trying to take advantage of you, but a lack of legal knowledge could lead to serious mistakes; you could find yourself with less assets than you’re entitled to, and more debt than you should be responsible for.
Although the internet may convince you that a simple online divorce is right at your fingertips, the do-it-yourself variety is rarely a good option. And in many cases, they end up causing increased stress, taking extra time, and costing significantly more than divorces performed with the help of experienced legal counsel.
Fortunately, the help of a Piscataway divorce lawyer can make all the difference in the world. At the Law Office of Steven M. Cytryn, LLC, our compassionate, knowledgeable legal team has helped countless individuals have the quickest, most affordable, and least painful divorce possible.
Contact us today at (732) 214-1103 for a free and confidential consultation about your case.
Piscataway Divorce Proceedings
Every divorce is unique, but certain issues are involved, in some form or another, in the majority of divorces. The most common include:
Asset and Debt Division
Determining the equitable division of property, assets, and debts is one of the most complicated aspects of divorce. A Piscataway divorce attorney can help make this process as smooth, fair, and painless as possible.
Child Custody and Support
If you and your spouse share children, custody arrangements (both legal and physical) and support payments are often a primary focus of the divorce. Ensure that visitation and child support arrangements are fair for you and the children by working with an experienced divorce lawyer.
Contested vs Uncontested Divorce
A contested divorce is a divorce in which one or both spouses dispute some major issue, such as child custody or the division of property. If both spouses are in agreement, the divorce is considered to be uncontested. It should come as no surprise that uncontested divorces are typically cheaper, faster, and easier than contested divorces.
There is less room for conflict, and the process is rarely as complex. It should be noted, however, that contested divorces may become uncontested if issues can be resolved. This is most common with the help of an experienced lawyer. That being said, uncontested divorces may also devolve into contested divorces if unexpected issues arise and no resolution can be agreed upon.
Piscataway Contested Divorce
If any serious aspects of a divorce are contested, it will likely proceed as contested. Contested divorces typically involve:
- Filing a divorce petition with the court and serving the same petition on your spouse
- Waiting for your spouse’s response to the petition and answering his/her petition
- Discovery process—during which each of you obtains detailed information from the other
- Pre-trial hearings
- Settlement negotiations
- Trial, if the settlement offer is not agreed upon
- Appeal, when the judge’s decision is unfavorable
Although it is our goal to avoid trial, we are prepared to take your case to court if a fair settlement cannot be agreed upon. If we go to trial, you will have the opportunity to present witnesses and make closing arguments. Contact a Piscataway divorce lawyer today at (732) 214-1103 for a free and confidential consultation about your case.
Uncontested divorces can be relatively quick and inexpensive because both parties agree upon the significant issues, such as child support payments and the division of assets. Be cautiously optimistic, however, as the appearance of unexpected issues can create conflict in an otherwise amicable split. Having an experienced Piscataway divorce lawyer at your disposal can be of immense benefit if unforeseen issues pop up during the divorce process.
The Law Office of Steven M. Cytryn Can Help You
Divorce is hardly an enjoyable process, but it doesn’t have to be excruciatingly painful and cost a fortune. A good divorce lawyer will thoroughly analyze the details of your situation before making any recommendations, and will be by your side throughout the whole of the process. Your Piscataway divorce attorney will help you:
- Reduce stress—Filing for divorce can take an emotional, as well as financial, toll on the entire family. Your divorce attorney is not a therapist, but an experienced lawyer with the compassion and knowledge to effectively handle your case will be able to shoulder much of the burden so that you can focus on living your life.
- Understand your rights—If you’re not an attorney, it is unlikely that you fully understand your rights in a divorce. This is important even if you and your spouse are amicable and hoping for an uncontested divorce. Your spouse may have your best interests in mind, but a lack of understanding—on both parts—may lead to unintentional mistakes that could cost you significantly, in time and money. An experienced Piscataway divorce lawyer can help to ensure that you understand what you are entitled to so that you and your soon-to-be ex can reach a mutual, and fair, agreement.
- Protect your parental rights—Child custody is often the main concern of divorcing couples who have children. It’s important to note that custody does not only refer to how much time the children spend with each parent. There is also legal custody to take into consideration. Legal custody refers to the ability of each parent to make important decisions—such as education and medical care—on behalf of the kids.
- The division of assets and debts—Unless you own nothing and have zero debt, the division of assets and debts will likely be a major component of your divorce. Who owes what, and who gets what? A Piscataway divorce attorney can help to ensure that the division of assets and debts is calculated in a fair and equitable manner.
Contact Piscataway Divorce Attorney Steven M. Cytryn Today
Divorce can be one of the most stressful experiences of a person’s life. But it doesn’t have to be. An experienced divorce lawyer can help you reduce conflict, come to mutual agreements, and save money.
Contact the Law Office of Steven M. Cytryn, LLC today at (732) 214-1103 for a free and confidential consultation about your case.